Posted tagged ‘Lumi’

Obsessing over a new artform

May 23, 2008

eye detail

Pictured above is eye detail of an obitsu gretel head I did. So now that I’m fully a resin addict, I think the main thing that is making me so is the desire to perfect my doll make-up artistry. When I started out I really had no clue about techniques and materials and just kind of jumped in and my first efforts were definitely just that- first efforts. But now as I see more and more of these kind of dolls, I’m finally opening my eyes to the aesthetics and what makes a good face-up. For example, I adopted this little Lumi and knew her face-up was not stock but wasn’t familiar with the artist Lilykoi

Ali-chan

This doll is even more amazing in person and I really just love to study her and the artistry behind her perfect little face. I think grandma will notice a resemblance to a certain little person too…
But it’s really got me wanting to reach this level that this artist is at. The hardest part for me are the eyebrows and lower lashes so I’ve really been trying to learn how these artists get that soft sweeping look. They use different techniques so there isn’t really one way to do it. Here below I tried the pastel shadow and then painted the hairs.
eye detail

I’m anxious to buy more resin heads and work away at them but that’s not practical just yet. It could get pretty expensive unless I’m sure I’ll be able to sell them. But it is so much fun and gratifying to learn this art and hopefully I can expand on it and get more creative with it.

Mom would be proud…

March 29, 2008

009

There’s lots to catch up on since it’s been a while since I’ve updated. In between then I completed four customs. One of which is this Rainy Day Parade above. The customer was looking for a melancholy goth girl and RDP is a great base for that with her jet black hair. I also made her dress from the “All Spruced Up” dress pattern at Puchi Collective. It was my first dress with sleeves and a collar. Being the novice sewer that I am I got stuck on the sleeves. I had no idea how to attach them and spent an entire evening trying to figure out how it was supposed to go together. After some trial and error I finally figured it out but went ahead and left the first dress as the practice dress and made another one for this doll. There were some happy accidents along the way and I think I’ll have to make more dresses so I can get the hang of the sleeves and collar. I think mom will be impressed but I won’t let her look at the stitching or anything like that 😉

Again, I obsessed over my Lati face-up and ended up redoing her eye-brows. Now she’s done. I will leaver her alone and focus on making her some more clothes. That and some clothes for 2 more Latis– Lumi and a Cat Coco. They probably won’t arrive till the end of April. Gah, the wait!

the eyebrows are done!

And finally I did a different doll for a re-root. One of the new Dynamite Girls- Aria. She’s been given and razor cut with my new razor cutting tool that was suggested to me by a hairdresser. I loved using it and it was so easy to get this nice look that’s modeled after an Ashlee Simpson hairdo the customer referenced me to.
dynamite girl Aria re-root

For the other two customs I did recently, check out my flickr site for those pictures.
Have a great weekend!